University of Reading, United Kingdom
17 January 2024
Loughborough University, United Kingdom
25 May 2023
Our Mini conference ‘Developing food for older adults: from policy to product and beyond’ was held on the 9th of November, included five speakers and four ECRs session chairs.
Speakers and their talk title were as follow:
- Dr Elizabeth Williams – Why diet still matters for older adults – chaired by Dr Chris McLeod.
- Prof Anwesha Sarkar – Designing food for seniors: does eating capability matter -chaired by Dr Victoria Norton.
- Kelly Fortune – Product Development at Appetito – chaired by Konstantinos Prokopidis.
- Joanne Lunn – A retailer perspective on the challenges and opportunities of nutrition for older adults – chaired by Dr Victoria Norton.
- Dr Adrienne Cullum – Developing dietary guidelines in the UK – older adults – chaired by Dr Dorothy Tse.
Our 2nd Satellite workshop held on the 5th of October 2022 aimed to facilitate collaboration and networking targeted towards our pump-priming call; 33 people joined the session which included research pitches, and collaborative discussion leading to 14 applications to our pump priming call.
Our Food4Years 1st Satellite workshop was held on the 23rd of May 2022 to provide the opportunity for conversation on the priorities for older adult nutritional research and form the basis for the direction and target areas for future research. Discussions were held across three themes:
- Challenges to the development and marketing of food products designed for older consumers
- Nutritional requirements and older adults: Where evidence and guidelines align and where there are gaps.
- Co-creating food-based solutions with older adults.